Eric Fletcher is one of our two Great Designer Search finalists! Take a look at his four puzzles below and make sure you cast your vote on Twitter and/or Facebook before September 19!
(Click here to see the guidelines/requirements for each level’s submission.)
- Attack with Lightning Mare
- It must be blocked, or you could pump it to lethal, so it trades with a Knight
- Cast Demanding Dragon
- Sarkhan’s Unsealing triggers, killing the second Knight
- When Demanding Dragon enters the battlefield, the opponent is unable to sacrifice a creature, and takes 5 damage.
Uncommon Puzzle Submission:
Uncommon Puzzle Solution
- Cast Poison-tip Archer
- Use Vraska’s +2 to give Attendant of Vraska +1/+1 and Menace
- Attack with all 3 attackers. Opponent loses 4 life and you gain 4 life. (9 life remaining)
- Opponent’s best block is both Knights on the Attendant (Other blocks deal at least as much total damage)
- Opponent takes 4 damage from unblocked Conquistadors (5 life remaining)
- Both Knights, and the Attendant, die, triggering Archer for 3 additional damage (2 life remaining)
- Cast Final Payment, sacrificing one Conquistador to kill the other
- Archer triggers for the final 2 points of damage
Rare Puzzle Submission:
Rare Puzzle Solution
- Use +1 on Liliana, opponent goes to 18
- Use -7 on Liliana, targeting Paradise Druid and Elenda. Put both of them into play on your side, and proliferate Domri and Nicol Bolas.
- Nicol Bolas uses Liliana’s +1, opponent goes to 16
- Nicol Bolas uses Liliana’s -7, targeting paradise Druid and Deathgorge Scavenger. Put both of them into play on your side.
- Elenda gets two counters; proliferate Domri + Elenda; Scavenger exiles Nicol Bolas and gets +1/+1
- Use Domri’s +2, giving all your creatures +1/+1 and Haste
- Use Domri’s -8, giving all your creatures +3/+3 and Trample
- Attack with everything, exiling Domri for another +1/+1, for 5 + 8 + 9 = 22 trample damage. Opponent blocks with a 2 toughness Shanna and 4 toughness Hydra, and takes 16.
Mythic Puzzle Submission:
Mythic Puzzle Solution
- Sacrifice elemental, and tap all lands to cast Tamio’s Epiphany, floating BBU
- Stack your deck such that the top four cards include, in order: Fblthp, Footlight Fiend, and Moodmark Painter. Another unknown card can be anywhere in that stack.
- Draw 2 cards.
- Cast Fblthp, and draw a card
- Cast Footlight Fiend
- Sacrifice Fblthp and Footlight Fiend to the priest, targeting both players.
- Use Footlight Fiend to kill a token
- Sacrifice the Priest to her own ability. Opponent takes 2 and sacks a second token.
- Cast Moodmark Painter, granting Pardic Wanderer +4/+0 and Menace.
- Attack for 9 unblocked.